Clackamas River Water (CRW) is a regional water service provider organized under Chapter 264 of the Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) as a special district. Special Districts are autonomous government entities that are accountable to the voters in the areas they serve. CRW provides clean, safe drinking water to a population of about 50,000 directly, and up to 80,000 people are served when the populations of wholesale customers are included. CRW has maintained more than 45 years of exceptional water treatment plant operation, providing water to nearly 12,000 service connections, and maintaining a distribution system consisting of approximately 262 miles of pipeline, 14 reservoirs, and 11 pump stations.
CRW was created in July 1995 by the consolidation of the Clackamas Water District and the Clairmont Water District. Clackamas Water District was originally formed in 1926. It absorbed the former Stanley Water District in 1979 and merged with Barwell Park Water District in 1991. Clairmont was originally formed in 1959 and was merged with the Redland and Holcomb-Outlook Water Districts in 1983.